Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Quarraisha, Quarraisha, Quarraisha

by Dr Nesha Haniff

Well those of you who know me and have taken my classes on putting women's bodies at the center of science will know what today has meant to me. I went to the session entitled  "Safety and Effectiveness of 1% Tenofivir Vaginal Microbicide Gel in South African Women:Results of the Caprisa 004 Trial".
I knew that the results which were to be under embargo were leaked by the Financial Times and I saw the report this morning on the BBC. I was happy but cautious, could this be real?

I thought the news would be positive when I knew both Quarraisha and her husband  Salim Abdool Karim were going to be here. They usually alternate at conferences. So I was at session room 6 half an hour before the start  of the presentation. I wanted to be up front in the middle where I could see their faces. Is this the moment. Will microbicides be finally proven scientifically as a concept to put women's protection of their bodies in their own hands not having to negotiate with men about condom use?
I felt at once excited and worried. I have been here before with pro 2000, with carraguard, with buffer gel, savvy, nonoxyl nine-each time there was a failure it was if I had been dumped by a man in whom I had invested my hopes and dreams. When I sat there I thought, is this really true or am I going to be dumped again?

It was true, tenofivir gel had proven to be effective in 54% of those who used the gel.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/AIDS/vaginal-gel-cuts-hiv-spread-aids-researchers/story?id=11199076&page=1

Having worked in HIV prevention for 20 years with women on the front lines of the epidemic and having had to tell women to use a condom  which I knew many times was not at all possible, I felt at this moment that I would be redeemed from this false prevention message for women.


I loved that Dr. Quarraisha Abdool Karim who has been a supporter of POA( Pedagogy of Action) for  many  years was the lead scientist. The second  PI was her husband. As they sat on the panel together  something I don't see very often -  South Africans at the center of this scientific breakthrough, there assembled, all the movers and shakers in the UN system, in the NIH, CDC. The Minister of Health of South Africa was on the panel so was the premier of Kwa-Zulu Natal. The room was packed, I sat with Dr. Dawn Smith who works in the HIV program at the CDC and a former student of mine. We both were excited because we understood this seminal moment.

South Africans can solve their problems.  Quarraisha Abdool Karim a woman, a scientist, a South African, married to her co PI and the team of CAPRISA dedicated to this struggle, prevailed  this time. It was the women of South Africa who were in the trials who were heroic. I know that this does not mean that I have to stop saying condom and that the rest of the story of empowering women must continue. But this is the beginning of hope and I feel that this time I will not be dumped. I take pride that I know Quarraisha and that the students at POA have had the great privilege of her taking the time to speak with them for many years.

In her last talk with my students I remember that she said. HIV is  killing our women,.our people. We must continue to try to solve this. We just can't give up. For her and CAPRISA this was an act of love for their country for their people. Khealeboga, enkhos, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment